Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Mom Fan

Brenden has been playing soccer for many years.  I dutifully attend practices and games.  At the end of each session I always ask the same question, "Did you have fun?" he almost always smiles his toothless grin and replies, "Yep!"  My next go to line is, "I liked watching you play."  I'm being truthful.  I do like watching him , but do I look forward to going to practice?  Do I sit on the edge of my stool during every game?  No.  I am just there.  I'm at the games for him, not for me.  I go, I cheer, I leave.  

This weeks game was a little different.  I was still there for him.  I still cheered, but this time the cheering was intense.  During the first half B played a while and then was back out of the game.  His time spent in the game was good, nothing goal setting.  At half-time this all changed.  B came out in his yellow uniform.  I thought to myself, There is no way Coach is going to have him play goalie. I quickly turned to Christ, "Really, he's going to play goal?  He's never played goal before."  

Chris replied with a smile, "We'll see."  

See we did.  The second half B was pounded with shots.  Time and time again he went into the kicking frenzy and reappeared with a ball in his hands.  We were shocked.  As time went on he recovered several shots.  I was so proud.  There was one time I was literally climbing the wall in anticipation waiting for his head to pop out of the huddle of soccer players with a ball in hand.  

This week as we walked to the car and I rattled off my usual line my tone was a little different.  "B I had a really good time watching you play today!  You had me climbing the walls on the soccer field watching to see your victory!"  

4 comments:

  1. I have had moments like that too at my brothers soccer games!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you described how intense the new experience of you son playing goaly was. I could almost imagine I was there.

    ReplyDelete